Thursday, August 13, 2015

Detours, Rabbit Trails, and Walking off the Path

I'm still determined to at some point, not a set date, but a general goal, get through all of the books that Rory was seen reading on the show. But after much wavering, I have decided to allow myself detours.

My original purpose was to open my eyes to new authors and the classics that I hadn't read yet, and get myself out of my little fantasy / past favorite authors rut. I was only reading things that I knew about already, so it was a good exercise for me to get out of my comfort zone and experience a whole new flavor of books.

It has been overall widely successful, and I now have a few authors who I enjoyed their books so much, it made me want to read more of them, but I kept denying myself, because they weren't on "the list." I added them to my to- read list, and decided I would read more of them far in the future, after my full list is complete. I reasoned with myself that I have so many books to get through to achieve my goal that reading books off the list is too much of a detriment to my goal.

I have changed my mind. Reading is for pleasure, my escape, my hobby. I set off on this journey to accomplish a weighty goal, but also to find new books, and more enjoyment in my reading than I was when I was randomly picking fantasy books and hoping for the best. Why wait years to read more of an author I enjoyed? I discovered a gem, an author whose writing filled my want for books that draw me in and envelope me completely in the story. She is a prolific author, and only two of her books made the list, so I have decided to take a detour.

Her name is Ann Patchett, and the first book of hers I read was Bel Canto (amazing book). Second I read Truth and Beauty, which I will write about later, and how it finished a trilogy of sorts with Autobiography of a Face, which was one of the first Gilmore book list books I read. Truth and Beauty, among other things, talks about her journey to become a writer, and her first book, and it made me want to read it, and as the book continued, it solidified my desire to break off my path, and take a Patchett detour.

With that decision, it opened the flood gates to me deciding to also read more books by other authors that I enjoyed on this journey so far. So it appears that my August/September reading will be a detour, rabbit trail, off the path kind of months, and I am looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment