Saturday, June 6, 2015

Catch 22 and Ella Minnow Pea

I didn't intend to juxtapose these two books when I chose to read them close together. But I'm glad I did.

On the surface level, both are silly, ridiculous books that are so far from reality they can be reviewed as pointless, dumb books. 

But at a deeper level, both are a commentary on government, albeit in different ways. 

It took towards the end of Catch 22 for me to enjoy it, the rest was too ludicrous for my taste (think Monty Python silly).

On the other hand, I very much enjoyed the quick read of Ella Minnow Pea and highly recommend it. A brilliant feature is the author's ability to write with increasingly less of the alphabet and still bring across an interesting story. 

Both, if looked at from the deeper level, leave you thinking about the problems inherent in government and bureaucracy and while knowing that things aren't quite as bad as these books portray, it makes you wonder if we aren't almost as bad. 

Bottom line as a review- read Ella Minnow Pea. If you choose to try to battle through Catch 22, make it to the end to get the book's many ongoing jokes/ story lines. 

No comments:

Post a Comment