Thursday, May 21, 2015

Brick Lane

The biggest themes from this book are about fate and having the power to choose your own path.

It made me think a lot about marriages and relationships. The main character is forced into an arranged marriage, that like any marriage, has its ups and downs.

I wonder who my parents would pick for me, and if I would approve of their choice. On the other hand, another character in the story chose her own husband, against the wishes of her parents, and her story doesn't go as she intended either.

I think the author is trying to make a point of the contrast that neither is absolutely true. We don't have to surrender our lives to the will of fate or God and sit back passive and let life pass us by, but we also can't believe that we control everything. Whatever name you give to it, there are always going to be circumstances beyond your control that you then can make choices based on those uncontrollable actions.


No comments:

Post a Comment