Thursday, May 21, 2015

The Joy Luck Club

My short goodreads review: "Sad at times, but felt very real and helped me understand two different cultures more. Kept my interest throughout."

This book is many things, and that is probably why it was/is so popular.

It has an element of historical fiction as you hear the stories of the mothers, but it also has somewhat historical fiction even with the daughters at this point.

It it about the complex relationships between parents and their children, which hits close to home for me as I can sympathize with both the daughters and the mothers as I am now a mother myself. You, as a mom, want so much for your kids, but you know that ultimately they have to make their own choices in life. At the same time, I have felt as a daughter the friction caused by a difference of opinion between my mom and myself.

It was mostly eye opening in the knowledge of what it feels like to grow up so mixed between the culture of your parent's country compared to the country that is your own county. I have no personal knowledge on that front, having never experienced that kind of a culture clash within the home, but I found it very interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment